Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unreadable pop up message on Win98SE start

Status
Not open for further replies.

peobody

Technical User
Sep 5, 2001
US
I recently purchased a generic 1.8 Ghz machine as a machine upgrade for one of my users. I imaged the 2 GB drive from the old machine onto the new 20 GB drive. OS is Win98SE using the Netware Client 3.3 SP3. When I start the new machine a dialog box briefly appears immediately after the desktop comes up. I assume it's informational since it does not require a prompt. I can only tell that it has something to do with Netware but it flashes so fast that I can't identify anything else. It is replaced with the Netware login prompt. This dialog box did not appear on the original machine. Only modifications made to the drive (except what the OS PnP did) were to the Identification and TCP/IP properties of the Netware Client. Anyone have any idea how I can figure out what it is/says?

When does this dialogue box appear... before the NetWare Client Login, or after? Are you able to see your Login Script run?

Please advise.

Dialog box appears after the desktop wallpaper but before the Client login. Login scripts run fine. There are no other apparent anomolies with the system. Just this dang dialog box that I can't figure out its purpose.

I have Client 3.31 for '98. Just before the Login screen, I see the Novell Client splash screen flick up briefly. That isn't what you are seeing is it?. Its a white box on my screen.

MarkhP - Sounds like it but I'm skeptical since I haven't seen it on any of the other Win98SE machines running the same client. It also appears to have a whole lot more text on it than what I would expect on a splash screen (at least I think it's text). But it is exactly what you describe, a small white box that appears briefly before being covered or replaced by the Login box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back