Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unreadable Media after Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

osdigo

IS-IT--Management
Nov 25, 2002
GB
Hello, we have ARCServe 2000 with SP4 in a W2000 Server (SP3) with a Compaq MSL5026 Library (in a SAN) and two Drives. Until the Last week everything was OK. We cleaned the drives with a Cleaning Tape.
After that, we have a lot of problems inventoring the tapes in the library, it takes too long, some tapes with "Unreadable Media", and we get errors like "Media Manually ejected from drive" or "Failed to Inventory Slots"

Any suggestions?.
Many thanks.

Hi, we have ARCServe 2000 with SP4 on a mixture of W2000 Servers (SP3) and NT4 servers (SP6) with 3 Compaq MSL5026 Library (in a SAN) and thus six Drives.

We too are having LOTS of media errors (infact we put in a new pack of 5 tapes and every one came back as unreadable). If you find a solution please post the answer.

Cheers Michael

Hi,

We are looking at this problem too.

I have over 20 of these cursed libraries in the environment I support.

We are running SP4, the latest devicesp.exe from CA, plus 7 extra patches, the latest SCSI drivers, tape and library firmware and still we get problems. I have ben looking into this and like most people Im getting the probme that I cannot work out if it is hardware or software as all servers have the same software and hardware.

However, we do also run BackupExec V8.6 and this also has intermittent problems. There is another thread in Tektips which basically points at the msl5026 being the problem. I guess HP should be working on a solution. If I find the answer I shall post it, but for now I suggest going back to hardware support and requesting assistance from them.

Cheers.

Same problems here. If anyone finds any solutions please let us know.

I know i am probably teaching granny to suck eggs here but have you checked the cleaning tape, i have had on several occations DLT instead of SDLT cleaning tapes delivered, these are not sutable for sdlt and will actiually damage the heads.

I know these wonderful SDLT devices are self cleaning don't require cleaning (HA HA on which planet? unless you work in a hemetically seal bubble )but i would also suggest having 1 slot configured as a tape cleaning slot under arcserve device config, and set to clean every 50-100 hours of use, a little OTT i know but since we did this only 1 in 200 tapes showed as unreadable, been running for 12 months no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back