Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unprotecting Group boxes and Option Btns in Excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2002
US
I have an excel 2003 spreadsheet with 21 group boxes and each group box has 5 option buttons. (NOTE: I am using the Form Control toolbar, not the Control toolbar.) Each group box is linked to one cell and displays the number of the option button selected. All the group boxes work this way and all the option buttons work as expected - when one button in the group is clicked the others are empty. Each group box is independent of the others. The problem is I want to protect this spreadsheet so the user can only enter in certain unlocked cells. These cells are for entering names, titles, dates, comments, etc, and the option buttons. I have unlocked the group boxes, each individual option button, the cell the option button is in, and the cells between each option button. When I turn protection on and click an option button, I get a message that I cannot touch that cell because it is protected. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong??

Hi,

Unprotect the sheet.

Lock/Unlock cells.

Protect the sheet.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Skip,

Thanks so much for responding so promptly. Unfortunately, I have already tried your suggestion. I even made sure the cells where the option buttons reside are unlocked. Is there anything else I can do? I am working with a "form" developed by someone at corporate and applying the features required. Is there some sort of macro I can write that will tell Excel that the group boxes and option buttons are unlocked?

--Gail

It is not required to unprotect cells where the control is, you have to have linked cell unprotected.

combo

combo,

Thanks so much for your help. I have tried what you suggested and it works like a charm.

--Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back