Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unprogrammed DIDs coming in on main line 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCCSteve

Technical User
May 18, 2006
US
Our console (2250) is receiving calls on our main facility line for DIDs that we don't even have programmed. How the callers are getting the numbers doesn't really concern me, but when they are called we want the result to act like a disconnected line, i.e. fast busy. Our phone provider says they are not redirecting these calls. We think this has only occurred since we switched to PRI, but are not sure if that has anything directly to do with it.

rdr data...another place is in the cdb, vnr.. i send vnr to a ran.. simple recording that say this number is not is service

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I still can't find anything in the cdb that is causing this. There is no vnr. A little more on what is happening: 1 specific block is xxx-5900-5999, none of which are programmed. If a call comes in for one from the outside, the console receives the call on our main # with a 59 on the display.
Here's what the rdr data looks like:
TYPE RDR_DATA
CUST 0

TYPE RDR_DATA
CUST 00
OPT CFF CFRD PVCD CWRD MCI
FNAD FDN
FNAT FDN
FNAL FDN
CFTA NO
CCFWDN
CFN0 4
CFN1 4
CFN2 4
DFN0 4
DFN1 4
DFN2 4
DNDH NO
MDID YES
NDID YES
MWFB YES
TRCL 0
CRT0 00 00 00 00
CRT1 00 00 00 00
CRT2 00 00 00 00
CRT3 00 00 00 00
DAY0
DAY1
DAY2
DAY3
HOLIDAY0
HOLIDAY1
HOLIDAY2
HOLIDAY3

REQ:

Thanks

Check your INT_DATA in ld 21. Look for CTVN (call to vacant number). The default is OVF OVF OVF ATN where incoming calls go to the attendant.

I checked the ctvn & confirmed it is the default but in the book there is no other option for entry. Is the whole thing just reentered manually?
Also, this has always been the setting, since 1990. Would PRI change how it's treated?
These aren't really vacant #s either. They're really non-existent as far as the PBX is concerned. They're not programmed anywhere.
To correct some earlier info, the calls are not being sent to the LDN. Further traces confirmed that they are definitely being forwarded within our switch to 0(ATTN).
I'm going to look back through the ATT_DATA.

A vacant number is a number that is not programmed in the switch. The int_data is how calls are treated. Changing PRI's won't change it. They just never noticed it before. The options are OVF (overflow tone), ATN (route to attendant), RAN (recorded announcement). I think there are more, but never used them. If RAN is used, RANR (ran route) will be prompted. To change, use LD 15 CHG INT_DATA. You have to put in all four responses separated by a space.

Okay, thanks for giving me some clarification. I made the change (ovf ovf ovf ovf) & it works! It sounds like Integra is tacking their own "disconnected number" message to it, but I think that's fine with us.

Thanks again, both of you, for your input.

When you give overflow (OVF) on a CTVN, the carrier will interpret the OVF as a non-programmed number on their side (CTVN) and on their side they have CTVN set to RAN, and the RAN says that the number is disconnected.

That might be an interpretation, as they might not be a Nortel DMS (or similar) system, so they probably have other terminology... but that is what is happening.

If I was the owner of a company and My top sales person left or died and his phone was outed, that means any calls that would have gone to the ATT will now give a busy sig and the called will now call my competition. I think I would leave the CVTN to ATT.

But hay thats just me, it's like saying to your customers, we don't need your business, get lost.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Thanks x11, that's what I thought.

ace,
Thanks. That is a good point, however, most of our business #s are tied to positions rather than names. In the 5 years I've been here, I can't remember outing a number of any significance. I work at a convention center. The DIDs I've been concerned with in this post are in a block of 200 or so numbers whose only purpose is to be used on a temporary basis if needed.

My vacants ring the attendant so at least the calls get answered and transfered to where they belong. JP's ran suggestion is a great solution too if you have one available. It could tell the callers they've reached a non-working number at said business and give them the main number to get to where they need to be.

I'll keep these suggestions in mind, should a situation arise where this is an issue. For now though, like I said, these particular numbers have no purpose but for temporary use. If anyone calls them, they are either intentionally cold calling a random number or have been given an incorrect number. A missed call on any of these has no effect on our business whatsoever.

Thanks

Then the only relevant suggestion is to keep in mind that if you OUT a number for an actual employee, to remember to build an ACDDN NCFW or Phantom DCFW to the attendant (instead of to voicemail) so that the call will be answered...

(or to not OUT the number in the first place and instead do something like build a voicemail box that says "X-employee has departed and their call will be transferred to operator (or replacement staff), please hold.

the is a federal reg that say you will provide answer supervision for every did sent to you.

no one enforces it.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Curious, I did not know that. thanks for the info JP.

The 1st SL1 I worked on was installed in 1975 and had 400 DID's and I started working for them in 1979 and about a mounth or so later I had some problems and the Telco tech informed me he didn't see any answer supervision and wanted to know how long it had been that way, I told him I didn't know, but I knew it had been that way since it was installed. Every one that had ever called the DID numbers here got the calls for free. The telco made me turn on the Answer supervision before they would fix my other problems and told me it was a FCC rule there had to be Answer Supervision.

Thank you acewarlock for the elaboration, it adds food for thought.

As long as you give a reorder tone you do not need to provide answer suspervision. Which in your case you are doing...The following is from part 68 of the FCC rules

2. This equipment returns answer supervision on all DID calls forwarded to the PSTN.
Permissible exceptions are:
• A call is unanswered
• A busy tone is received
• A reorder tone is received

OK thats if your doing 1 of the 3 above, if you don't have Answer Supervision turned on in the RDB then billing won't start for any other calls recieved and thats what johnpoole and I where talking about. everyone should check and make sure it's turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back