Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unplug Eject Hardware Shortcut (USB Keys)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhaseK

Technical User
Sep 9, 2003
GB
I have a GP which disables access to the control panel, however this stops people being able to eject their USB pen devices safely.

Is there a way to get around this without giving them access to the Control Panel? and if so how?

Cheers,
Karl

p.s I have found a way to make a shortcut to the operation (%SystemRoot%\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll) but this still returns the message "This operations has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer

You might be out of luck without changing the policy. Have you tried setting up the machines so that they show that "disk with an arrow" looking icon in the system tray? If you click that, it gives you the option to disconnect devices. Honestly, though, because of the GP, that probably won't work either.

SELECT user
FROM users
WHERE common_sense IS EQUAL TO NULL;

-Shrubble

Hi Shrubble,

We have got it set up so that the "unplug" icon is in the system tray, but because of GP we don't allow access to the system tray icons due to security risks.

Any other ideas greatfully received!!

Cheers,
Karl

The only thing I can think to do is maybe setup a workstation (or device) with a different group policy on it, so that users could dump their drives into network shares and then upload them back later.

Problem is that your policy prevents them from installing hardware, and that's exactly what it does!

SELECT user
FROM users
WHERE common_sense IS EQUAL TO NULL;

-Shrubble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back