Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unpacking an EXE file ? decompiling an EXE file ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuilderSpec

Programmer
Dec 24, 2003
GB
Hi

I have this rumour that you can take an executable file and unpack it somehow and get back to some sort of object that can be changed and recompiled ?

Any ideas ?

Regards

BuilderSpec

Sure, you can translate an executable into assembly language and a set of resources, but the code will be total gibberish. As far as I know, it's almost impossible to turn a program of any size back into comprehensible high-level source code.

Actually, for those who understand Assembly, the code won't be gibberish. Just to those of use who don't understand Assembly.

I once saw a program that would take the Assembly code and produce a (somewhat) readable/compilable C source file. The problem was anything the program couldn't understand would still be put into assembly code in the C source file. This included many API's.

Most companies consider this illegal. Look at the EULA (End User License Agreement) on most programs and you will find that decompiling a program is not allowed.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Understanding separate Assembly instructions is one thing (and yes, you could probably convert it to working C sources as well) but understanding the whole program is totally different. Without variable and function names, class definitions and whatever, it'll be much harder to make a change in the program, especially changes on logically 'higher' levels.

Decompiling a program to its original source is impossible. Identifies (variable & function names), type info, class structures and all such high-level language constructs are lost.

thank you ppl...least i can stop looking as i didn't think there was anyway ..

BuilderSpec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back