Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unmountable_Boot_Volume in WIN XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

prodoubts

Programmer
Dec 29, 2002
US
I get this when I start my system:

It says Unmountable_Boot_Volume and then I get

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82F23900, 0xc0000006,0x00000000, 0x00000000

I went into SAFE mode and tried to restart, it stops running through the system files at

agp440.sys

I have atleast 30Gb of important information in the Hard Disk.

Please Help !!!

I use a LAPTOP.
It is an IBM Thinkpad A30p.

I went through all the details, The steps are given for a condition where the second set which is 0xc0000006 in my case below is 0xc0000032.

Anyway that was a useful information. THANKS. I never knew that was posted in the Microsoft site itself. THANKS FOR THE INFO.

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82F23900, 0xc0000006,0x00000000, 0x00000000.

Anyway I am looking for more steps as to what i have to take. I have ordered for a Recovery Disk from IBM too.

HELP ~ !

I had a similar problem, I don't recall the details of the STOP but it was definitely an Unmountable_Boot_Volume situation.

The problem was not related to the disk itself, it was the RAM memory. After replacing the RAM, it worked fine.

Hey guys !

It was very helpful.
Your links, particularly the one which says the CHKDSK /r and the Google link really helped.

Its very well running.

1. Inserted XP Pro CD.
2. Went into the Recovery Console after waiting for all the inital setup part of the CD.
3. Then in the Command Prompt, ran CHKDSK /r and this repaired the error
4. Restarted the system.
5. yo HO ! It worked....

Additional Step taken as per MSDN advice : Ran the Critical Patch and the latest updates.

The CAUSE was due to out of order writing speeds or something. It is clearly mentioned in the MSDN link.

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN GUYS AND GALS

The problem may be how XP saves system changes to the NTFS "FAT" file. After doing some research, I discovered that XP caches system changes (moving or remnaming of files; new installation information; changes to MSCONFIG, etc.) and does not immediately make those changes to the NTFS file. My belief is that if you reboot or the power fails befor ehte change is made, then you can get this message.

But this problem is one of Microsoft's own doing. Any problem in memory, or hard drive connectivity or speed settings also seems to be able to cause this error. But the reason would be because of the way Microsoft programmers designed the operating system. To speed up the OS, they needed to redesign NTFS and the boot procedures, not avoid the problem by sleight of hand. So XP is not really faster, it just looks that way--and because it only looks that way, beware! It is just as messed-up an operating system as Windows ever was.

I have teh same problem and "CHKDSK c: /scan" gave me "Unrecoverable error message.
I tried FIXBOOT, but still wouldn't start.
I got a second HDD and installed WinXP on it.
QUESTION: How Can i transfer data files form my old HDD to a new one?
Teh old has 40 gig, but it reads as 10 MEG form "My Computer" in new XP installation.
THe New HDD is 120 GB
Thanks!

Times 44
"Teh old has 40 gig, but it reads as 10 MEG form "My Computer" in new XP installation."
I don't understand. You want to say that you can acces only 10 megs fro your 1st hdd ????

Yep. That is right.
I used GetDataBack and copies some of my files to the second HDD. However, using a new WinXP insatllation on the second HDD, I can only access 10MB of my original HDD.

does this mean that the other data is inaccessible? or just that it reads only 10 mb of data?

also, does chkdsk run the risk of destroying data?

did you set up your old hd as a secondary/slave drive, and your new hd with the new win xp installed as the primary drive? or did you use cable select?

using getdataback - you said you got some data back, but how much did you not get back?

hello,

I have the same problem but i dont know where i need to start to fix it.

My friend got Windows XP Home. Everytime it goes to the error message .. UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. He don't have the orginal Windows XP Home CD. I have the Windows XP Professional CD.... so how can i fix it that the system will come up.

Hes computer is down since 2 month and he didn't insta;;ed anything new hardware on the computer. The setup is the same like he bought it at the beginning.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::::::: 55-Studio.com :::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back