Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unmount /tmp

Status
Not open for further replies.

blasvinas

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2003
US
Hi,

I am getting a message in the error log that says the /tmp is corrupted and that I need to execute fsck to fixed. This is a production server and I can not rebbot the server at this moment. Can I unmount /tmp and execute fsck -y and mount /tmp without affect the normal operation?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes,
You can use "fuser" to force kill any process that accesses /tmp,then fsck it,then mount it back.
ex:
fuser -kxuc /tmp

Long live king Moshiach !

it is not allowed/possible to unmount /tmp on system running in multiuser mode...

/tmp is one of OS filesystems that cannot umounted in a live operating system. The only way you can fsck /tmp is to boot the machine into maintenace using the OS cd. Select the option to access the a volume group (rootvg) without mounting the filesystems first. This will give a shell with no filesystems mounted and then you should be able to do a fsck on /tmp.

I would certainly advise you to do this ASAP as /tmp is key OS filesystem and if data cannot be written here correctly, it might cause you more problems.

Thank you for your response. I am going to schedule a server shutdown in order to fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back