Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unmount/Mount file system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2001
US
I am unable to see files and directories in one of my filesystems while it is mounted. When I unmounted the filesystem I was able to cd to it and see all the files and directories. Tried restarting the server with no luck. Any clues as to why this would happen? Gotta have the filesystem to capture all my environment settings.

AIX 4.3.3

There are a couple possibilities:

1. There was a filesystem mounted over your mount point
2. The files were created on the directory mount point before the filesystem was mounted/created.

Bill.

The is a lost+found in that filesystem when it is mounted. But not there when I unmount. What would be the best way to fix this. There wasn't anything created on the mount point. We had a complete network failure and the box just locked up and had to be forced to shutdown.

Leave it there. It is a system directory used by "fsck" to store unknown files when fixing a corrupted filesystem. It takes 1 i-node, so it should not be hurting you.

Bill.

Any clue on how to get my files and directories to show up while the fs is mounted? Should I tar the whole thing up while its unmounted then put them back when I mount the fs back?

Precisely what I'd do.

# tar -cvf /tmp/fs.tar
# mount <mountpoint>
# tar -xvpf /tmp/fs.tar

Be sure to use the &quot;-p&quot; to preserve permissions.

Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back