Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unlocking local database files

Status
Not open for further replies.

barney2

Technical User
Jun 9, 2003
GB
I have a netware 5 server
DS wont load
dsrepair hangs with "unlocking local database files" please wait

I also get
Bindery Emulation Server Object has the wrong name
Name being changed from
"CN=+Bindery Type=4"
to
"CN=FS_SUNREN1+Bindery Type=4"

I also noticed the error messages saying that LDAP could not start (I assume netware used LDAP for authentication?)

NLDAP Error Reading the attribute count in ReadAttributeMap err=0

I have
dsrepair v 5.26
ds.nlm 7.51

Any thoughts please
I need some data from this server & can't log in

Thanks

You could try the following:

Down the server back to the DOS command prompt and load server with the -NDB switch (SERVER -NDB). Try running DSREPAIR then.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Sorry forgot to mention. I did this it ran OK then does the same on a reboot

You should put DS7.62 on there.. Also, sometimes when DS hangs like that when trying to start a repair, you can unload NLSLSP and it will release it and go.. But NLSLSP reloads after 10 seconds, so you might have to unload it a few times. Or you can unload POLIMGR and then unload NLSLSP and that should keep it out.

Also, those errors you mention, where do you get those? On the console during normal operation? Why do you have a bindery emulation object?

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.

Marvin
1. Is DS7.62 OK on Netware 5.00 . the patch only talks about 5.1

2.unload NLSLSP and it will release it and go - I tried it didnt help

3. Also, those errors you mention, where do you get those? On the console during normal operation? - Yes after boot up

NLDAP cannot login as server because NDIS is not available
LDAP server cannot be configured another configuration attempt will occur in 2 minutes
NLDAP Error Reading the attribute count in ReadAttributeMap err=0

You can probably take out the line that reads LOAD NLDAP or NLDAP in your autoexec.ncf file. Never seen it used on NetWare 5. It's more of a hassle to configure especially when you won't use it.

Novell has the disclaimer that they haven't fully tested DS7.62 on NetWare 5.0, but they do say it should work. I've used it myself with no problems.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.

errors I get flashing past on boot up

Could not open local database. It is inconsistent
&
Unable to get distinguished server name

I have just tried
WITH LOAD NLDAP ALREADY REMOVED
server -NDB
unload polimgr
unload NLSLSP
load dsrepair (version 5.30)
Advanced options
repair local ds database
unticked all options
it ran thru OK
Yes to save
exit
Its still hung on UNLOCKING LOCAL DATABASE FILE PLEASE WAIT

This server has been taken off the network.
Is their any way of getting into it & copying some data off, then throwing it away

Thanks

If you want to do that, I would suggest removing the existing DS (ensuring that the server is removed from your live tree also), then installing DS on it again but putting it into a new stand-alone tree on its own. This way, you can connect to it and remove any data you like from it. You can do this all via NWCONFIG however you may have to force the server from your live tree using NDS Manager.

"It's true, its damn true!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back