Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unlocking a locked database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFTyrant

Programmer
Mar 25, 2002
US
On one of my sites I have been updating the database structure - adding fields & tables and the like.

I download the db, make the modifications and normally, when I go to upload it again - there is an LDB file on the server.

Is there a way to clear the LDB file from the server?

This is an access database and I do not have access to the ODBC configuration tools.

Thanks!

The best way to do it is to make a temporary coldfusion file that tries to select data from a table that doesn't exist...

<cfquery name=&quot;temp&quot; datasource=&quot;[Your datasource]&quot;>
SELECT nothing
FROM none
</cfquery>

Upload this file to your live server, and view it. The .ldb file should now be gone.

best wishes,

Kendo.

CFTyrant,

As I replied to a post from Kendo before, in your CF Administrator:

ODBC Data Sources,
Click your datasource name,
Click the CF Settings button,
uncheck &quot;Maintain Database Connections&quot;.

This will increase performance (Access allows only 1 simultaneous connection) by releasing connections and locks after each request completes.

Good luck!

If you want an alternative to Access, check out MSDE:

-Tek

Tek -
Unfortunately my ISP doesn't give me direct access the the CF Admin or the ODBC connection manager. I have to send a request, which they respond to usually within a few hours. They are working on putting it out via the web - other things have come up that are more important though. =)

But thanks for the advice, I can use that at work where I do have CF Admin access!

And Kendo - forgot to say this earlier, your suggestion worked great!

Tyrant

CFTyrant,

If you have any contacts there that would listen to you, tell them it's in their best interest to make the changes to Access datasources for efficiency as well as performance. This was/is an Allaire/Macromedia best practice when working with Access in production environments.

Good luck!

-Tek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back