Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unlink tables and change text field to date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiggertoo

MIS
May 28, 2003
US
I have a database that is linked to a backup of a live db. All my tables are linked which means I cannot change anything only query data. What I'd like to do is be able to copy a table (structure and data) to another database without linking the two (an import left them linked). Then I have the task of changing a date which is defined as text to an actual date... The worst is the date is "Sep 1 2005" and "Sep 24 2005" so I cannot even use the mmm dd yyyy parameter. I will need to search by date or between dates so I have to come up with some way to manage this. So I need help with...
1. copying without linking (or once copied unlinking)the two tables
2. suggestions on the best way to change the data from text to date format.

Thanks!

Sep 1 2005" and "Sep 24 2005" may be converted to DateTime without problem.
1) Follow the import wizard
2) Change the field type in table design view

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Okay, I can convert the dates but I still cannot copy the table (export or import) without the link being retained to the live database. Any suggestions? This db has an unbelievable number of tables and I really don't want to have to recreate each one with all it's definitions, etc. If I could just get the layout (definition only), then I could delete and append in my "dummy" db.

Import the table from the live db.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back