Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unlink a worksheet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiggertoo

MIS
May 28, 2003
US
I have been given a file that at some point was linked but I don't know to what. I get this message
"The workbook you opened contains automatic links to information in another workbook. Do you want to update this workbook with the changes made to the other workbook. To update all information, click yes. To keep the existing information, click no".
How can I make this message go away?

Thanks

Well, the workbook had 4 worksheets. I copied each one and pasted it to a new book, saved, closed and opened. Only one worksheet gave me the message so I knew 3 of the worksheets were okay. Fortunately, it was the smallest worksheet of the bunch so I just looked at cell by cell and finally found a link to another workbook that doesn't exist any longer.

I'm hoping that someone will have a way to determine this without all the work. In the meantime though my problem is solved.

Tiggertoo,

Go to Edit, Links, and choose Change Source. Browse for the workbook you are currently in. The links are changed to the workbook that you are currently working in. In other words, the external links now become internal links.

Another thing you can do is go to Tools, Options, and put a check mark in the Formulas block on the View tab. Then look for a file name in the formulas.

If you have buttons or objects that control macros, they also may be the source of your grief.

Hope this helps,
Eugene99

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back