Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unkown file attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

beggarsu

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
GB
Hello to all

I have a problem with Outlook 2002. When replying to an e-mail with attachments, outlook automatically inserts an unkown file into the reply. The file has no filename or file extension. It cannot be saved either, so I can't open in notepad etc to analyse.

Can anyone help? I had this issue a while back but it wasn't resolved. Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

Silly question but if it has no filename and no extension then how do you know it's there?

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by
Douglas Adams
(1952-2001)

Cheers for the reply...

In the 'attachments' line (below to, from, cc, subject) there is a file icon. It has no name or extension, and has no specific icon (just the generic file icon that windows uses when it doesn't know what progrom to open it with). The attachments line only becomes visible when an attachment is inserted, so there must be some sort of file there. Any ideas?

Could you try right-click and "open with" Notepad direct from the attachment?

The other Shalternak's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvey shade of pinky-russet

Hi BanditBabe

Managed to open the file (just by double clicking) and it is a link to a local temp folder! Any ideas why this is attaching itself whenever replying to mails with attachments?

Outlook does strange things with attachments. If the original email had the attachment, and THAT attachments was opened Outlook makes a file. This file (often in a folder named OLKxxxx) is a real file, not a pointer. If changes are made to an opened attachment file, then those changes are saved to the Outlook file. So, when you reply it inserts a link to that file.

Here is a way to check if this is the case.

Send yourself an two emails, both with an attachment.

Email 1 - Open it and then open the attachment from within the email. Do something with it and save and exit the email. Now make a reply.

Email 2 - open it and SAVE the attachment (do not open it). Make a reply.

Does one have this little file (link) and the othe rnot?

Gerry

As Fumei says, it's all very temperamental and I haven't investigated too closely I'm afraid. The only other thing I'd add is that you're reply may have been to a message with a Disclaimer and that is recorded somehow as an attachment, which happens sometimes. One way around that would be to set Tools>Options>Preferences>Email options to "Do not include original message text".

The other Shalternak's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvey shade of pinky-russet

Many thanks to all for your replies.

I've tried the mailing myself suggestion. There was no difference in the replies to either e-mail, although I can confirm that the rogue file points to a temp folder but not the 'Olk' folder.

Keep em coming... :)

Anyone else...??? This is still to be resolved. Many Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back