Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unknown local admin password 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaker

MIS
Sep 5, 2001
US
Maching was shipped here from a remote user. I cannot get the machine to log on to the domain (all other machines are fine). NT DC says it cannot establish a trust relationship to add computer to domain (I removed it to try to re-add).

I cannot log on locally because the user doesn't remember what user account they had (they just typed in the password without looking at the other fields). I'm thinking of just reinstalling the OS, which I was probably going to have to do anyway. There is nothing on the machine but the OS and Office, so data loss is not a problem.

My question is about the registration. Can I use a CD key that was used on another machine, or do I have to try to track down the license info for this particular machine? I don't want to have to re-register the software. Will an upgrade retain the original licensing info?

Do a clean install. Everything else is just a bad hack that could compromise your Domain.

And, remove the machine account from the Domain. If the Domains had a previous Trust relationship, the machine account is already registered.

You will be able to use any CD key.

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

Thanks for the responses. The laptop, which is about five years old, was sent to me pretty much to confirm that it was on its last legs. I've tried to do a clean install, but the CD drive isn't being recognized. I think it's time to cut my losses and hit up the bean counters for a new machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back