Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unknown HTML tags in Front Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbrcreativemedia

Technical User
Mar 14, 2000
US
After copying text from MS Word, then pasting in MS Front Page, there are unknown HTML tags displayed in &quot;show all&quot; mode. The tags are after each paragraph. Display is blue text in a box with yellow background. The blue text that is displayed within those boxes is: &lt;?&gt; &lt;?&gt; They're always displayed in twos....<br>
What do they mean? Why are they inserted? How can I make them go away?

I can't seem to simulate this. Which versions of Word and Front Page are you using?<br>
<br>
boxplan

Using Front Page 2000 and Word 2000. Have narrowed down further... this only seems to happen when I copy e-mailed text from Outlook 2000, then paste to a Word doc for re-formatting, then copy & paste to Front Page. Hit the &quot;show all&quot; button and those little tags appear every time!

I was able to simulate this.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Wow, click the HTML tab!&nbsp;&nbsp;What a bunch of extra stuff!&nbsp;&nbsp;Page load overhead!<br><br>This raises the question, Is there some formatting in Word that you can't perform in FrontPage?&nbsp;&nbsp;Another way to ask this question, What function does Word serve?<br><br>boxplan

Using Word for editing & formatting text, along with deleting characters such as &quot; &gt; &quot; from forwarded e-mail text.&nbsp;&nbsp;(Also, it's easier to use functions like &quot;Replace&quot; on a separate Word document, so the characters and layout on the rest of a web page won't be disturbed). <br><br>I'm still looking for answers to my original questions about those html tags that appear :&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;?&gt;&lt;?&gt;<br><br>What do they mean? Why are they inserted? How can I make them go away? <br>

sbrcreativemedia,<br><br>try inserting the file instead of copy pasting the text.<br>you can also try and removing if any tabs are used in your word documents.<br><br>do let me know if this helps.

You can create, format, edit and save a document using Word then open it with FrontPage.&nbsp;&nbsp;Also, what does myyoursoft have to say about this?<br><br>Boxplan

Hi,

I was wondering if front page 2000 is a considerable
improvement over the older versions. Basically, I want
to be able to duplicate what I can now do in Office 98
into an html document without losing formating characteristics. Can anyone advise me.

Thanks,
Pete
waig2000@aol.com

The question mark tags probably refer to HTML code that it doesn't recognize. When I converted over to FrontPage, there was some tags I had hand-coded in, like a table summary. These are things in HTML, but FrontPage has a problem with it. Word also adds a bunch of extra stuff, which Front Page may not necessarily recognize. To see what tags FrontPage recognizes, go to Tools>Page Options>HTML Source. You can also use this dialog box to check it to preserve original formatting, which you may want to do.

Linda Adams
Garridon@aol.com
I'm a professional writer, published internationally.

Actually I do the exact opposite of what you are doing and find it much less frustrating. If I am going to copy something written in Word, I copy and paste it into Notepad. This removes everything invisible. I then immediately copy it back and put it into Front Page. Then if it needs further formatting I use the cascading style sheet that is attached to the page.

This way if the style sheet is changed the changes are rolled down into the page. If you leave the Word formatting there, the CSS changes don't have any impact.

I used to spend hours undoing stuff that Word stuck in there and then reformatting. This eliminates that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back