Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unknown error when trying to save

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreerWanda

Vendor
Feb 19, 2010
AU
Hi

I am using Illustrator CS and am working on a large mural - it will be 14.6 metres long (file is set up one tenth the size). After flattening all transparency I am not able to save the file - I get an unknown error message...

If I do not flatten the transparency the file prints with artifacts/pixelization in areas where there are multiple layers of transparency.

Have tried saving as an AI without PDF compatibility, also as eps, but still no luck.

If anyone has any suggestions I will be most grateful

cheers Greer

...before you flatten transparency in illustrator before export, verify the following:

...what is your transparency flattener set to when you print from the print dialog?

...also what is are your document raster effects settings set to?

...in the majority cases there is no requirement to be flattening transparency inside illustrator, only on export or during the print stream...

...in doing so, you need to ensure you have the correct flattening settings in the print dialog, the export pdf dialog and also the document raster effects dialog...

...you also need to ensure your layering is in optimum order, so that any vector parts you want to preserve as vector are on top on transparency effects where ever possible...

...sometimes you will get an unknown error when saving from illustrator, it is something that still occurs in CS4 and can be completely random...

...as you have tried the eps and pdf compatibility options without success, one thing that sometimes works for me is to save to a PDF, let it run, then straight after do a save as to Ai format with PDF compatibility turned one...

...if this still fails, another thing you can try is to reset the illustrator settings files and preference files...

andrew

============
============

Hi Andrew

thanks for taking the time to write this up...

Setting the transparency in the print dialogue box did the trick - the PDF is perfect!!!

BTW There are no "effects" in the file, only transparent vector objects. Document Raster Effects is set to 2400ppi.

The thing I did do to manage to get around the "unknown error" was to restart the computer before every proposed save - and that only worked once I broke the file up into 6 parts, and not every time... yes very tedious.

Glad I found this forum!

Thanks again,
a very cheered
Greer

Document Raster Effects is set to 2400ppi

...this value is far too high if you are referring to the "effect > document raster effects setting" dialog...

...260 to 350 is more than adequate for high end print work...

...do note changing the value after artwork is created will render effects differently, which often means changing any effects already in place manually...

...so the value should be set before any work begins...

...if you have this value set at 2400dpi, then it is possible it will cause you performance issues...

andrew

============
============

Thanks Andrew

your posts have helped me solve my problem and more.

cheers Greer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back