Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unknown DNS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbportal

Technical User
Nov 7, 2002
HR
Hi,
A few weeks ago my PC had a virus, so I'm now more careful and cautious when I see something strange happening around my firewall.

I was wondering if someone could help with the following:
My ISP (1&1 in Germany) has 2 DNS server addresses. I have allowed both of them in my firewall BUT when I checked which are the DNS servers (via ipconfig /all in XPHome), I see one of the ISP DNS server addresses (194.25.2.129) and a Telekom DNS server address 212.185.249.84

The firewall is showing messages such as:
'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to [212.185.249.84], port 53

'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to 212.185.249.84, port 53
c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe

I'd like to know why the Telekom IP address shows up/is it some virus etc - any leads ?

Best regards,Vjeko

It's set up as a primary or secondary DNS server in the networking settings for the connection.

Each operating system is differant as to how you check it, so if you tell me which os you're using, I can explain how to change it, but what you basically have to do is:

1. Go into "Network and Dial Up Connections"
2. Go into the properties of your internet connection
3. Go to the networking tab
4. Go into the properties for TCP/IP
5. Change the primary and secondary DNS servers to the 1&1 DNS servers.

Also verify that your hosts file hasn't been hijacked. This is getting to be quite common.
c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/ ->the file called hosts. Open it with notepad and look for any references to that IP. Delete them if they're there.

Hi,
I checked what you guys indicated but still have no clue
whether this DNS address is OK/why it is there:
The USB DSL modem softare sets the DNS server setting to "automatic", so I cannot set the actual DNS server address.

As for the hosts and other files, they are OK - no sign of this DNS address there.

I searched through the registry and found the DNS address in 2 places:
TypedURLs/url22

and in Interfaces /{long number....}/Name Server
(here I found both DNS addresses as given by ipconfig/all.

Where does the DNS server address given by ipconfig/all come from/can it be something generated by virus/worm etc or is it generally valid i.e. it is OK to allow it through my firewall ?

BR,Vjeko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back