Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unknown Dial-up on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pampaw

Programmer
Nov 8, 2001
US
I've upgraded from Win98 SE to Win XP Home. After I get my email I usually disconnect and when I do, a message comes up that says " You or some program is trying to access the internet at IP address-" then it gives some IP Address. If I hit cancel the window comes right back with the same message but with a different IP Address. I use ZoneAlarm Pro 3.1. I also use the free version of Download Accelerator Plus that has the ads. Could one of these be causing this? My anti-Virus is the latest from AVG and I also ran the klez and ekern removal utilites and they didn't find anything either. Are there any Services that I can stop or disable that might help? Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your reply

Jeremybarker,
I have the latest Ad-aware ver 5.82. It didn't find anything. But I think you might be on the right track. I will continue to look at some of my other freeware progs. thanks for the response.

This might help you find out who is phoning home.

Active Ports
Active Ports - easy to use tool for Windows NT/2000/XP that enables you to monitor all open TCP/IP and UDP ports on the local computer. Active Ports maps ports to the owning application so you can watch which process has opened which port. It also displays a local and remote IP address for each connection and allows you to terminate the owning process. Active Ports can help you to detect trojans and other malicious programs.
Download (450Kb)

This might help you get rid of any unnecessary services running in the background.

linney,
Thanks. I'll check these out.

also, remember xp "dials home" for half a dozen things. Searches, errors, system changes, etc. will all prompt xp to call redmond Michael Phipps
Technical Business Analyst
Mercy Health Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back