Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unknown Database Connector Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocopud

Technical User
Jan 8, 2002
US
I am using CR XI with an oracle 10g database. After our helpdesk did some work on my system, I was getting errors with Crystal Reports. When we looked at the Database Expert, we noticed that Oracle Server was not there, so I download oracle client. Once I did that, I could see the Oracle Server, but when I put the information in and tried to connect it gives me the "Unknown Database Connector Error".

Any suggestions on what else I might have to fix since I installed a new oracle client to get crystal to connect?

After you installed the Oracle client did you setup/configure a SQLNet.ora or TNSNames.ora file?

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

Yes, I just looked at those files and they were not in the new oracle client installation, so I added them there. Now I am wondering if I have too many tnsnames files. I still have an oracle\ora81\network\Admin directory with the tnsnames file in it and a new oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\NETWORK\ADMIN directory that the new install created.

Check your Windows environment path and make sure that the preferred client version (10?) is listed first.

Then, at least as a test, rename the tnsnames.ora file in the 8 install to tnsnames.OLD

Test

-- Jason

thanks for the help. I did check my environment path and oracle 10 is listed first. I have renamed the old tnsnames file so that there is only one, but I continue to received the same errors. Any more suggestions? I have searched this error and have about given up. Time to start from scratch?

Are you able to connect to Oracle from this pc via Oracle's "SQL+" using the same user you're trying to use in the report?

What error, exactly, do you receive when trying to connect via the report designer?

As a test can you setup an ODBC connection to the DB and try that?

-- Jason

Thank you for all your help. I finally got it to work. After search the web I saw a post about an oracle data access download, once I installed that and moved the tnsnames file in that location it work. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back