Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UNIX VS Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2002
US
With the new LTO2 drive speeds, Intel server hardware improvements and PCI-X and PCI-Express bus speeds along with 2GB fiber cards does UNIX still have the edge as a media server over Windows? Why?

Do you have any facts or benchmarks to prove this?

Does it matter what % of clients are NT/2000 vs UNIX that plays a role in the decision.

Any information or opinions are welcome.

Tim

UNIX still has the edge over Windows since it is more tweakable, Veritas netbackup was written for UNIX and therefoe there is a lot more support from the UNIX stand point.

i just switched from unix servers to windows ( dl380, fast cpus). the windows boxes can sustain max drive throughput, the solaris boxes simply couldn't do this - i don't know if its a limitation of the driver. the cost of the windows boxes wouldn't even have bought another cpu for the unix box - so in value terms the new windows boxes are good value.

one downside - lack of command tools to maniplate reports - everything has to be done in perl.

I find UNIX faster because you can tweak the buffer sizes to larger values than what Windows is capable of handling. I have identical drives in Unix and W2K and on an average and LTO drive in Unix sustains 15,000 KB/sec where on W2k it is only around 9,000.

I do, however, make one clarrification - This is for data coming to the media server from another client. On one W2K server where the backups are forced locally I get around 16,000 KB/sec.

sysadmin666, What are the hardware specs for your UNIX server?

Do you have some results you can post?

This is in response to sysadmin666

Our Solaris boxes were always slower at the tape I/O than HPUX. Until recently when we upgraded some of the Sun servers (to V1280's I think), and now they are faster than HPUX. On the V1280's we get 60 MB/sec to a single STK 9940B tape drive. On the older Sun boxes, we rarely saw more than 20 MB/sec.

Our master is HPUX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back