Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unix training

Status
Not open for further replies.

12sachar

MIS
Nov 5, 2002
US
Could anybody please help me find a trining place so I can learn Unix in a slow pace, like two or three times a week. Something like a college. I live in Rockville Maryland. There are a few places that teach 3-5 day courses but I am not interested in those.

Thanks much.

Mosen Zibaii
mosen.zibaii@nih.gov

The best way to learn Unix is to start using it. Try to find a copy of Linux or Solaris for your PC and install it. Mac has OSX which is built off a Unix operating system, so you could use that. You could also learn online or buy a book. One web page I found with a search on google was You also might find a good class at a local College.

12sachar,

One of the best training centers that I know of in the Washington DC metro area is George Washington Center for Professional Development , ... see link to their site below:
(
I was in similar situation some time ago after seeing all those 8-weeks/street-corner training centers that promise heaven and earth and delivers none.
I took the GWU's Unix/C++ program (FYI: you have the option of taking Unix-only for 4 months or both for 7-8 months) and will recommend it to anyone for the following reasons:
1) They have the right & reliable equipments.
2) The instructors are good/technically qualified (at least those that I had), they can be reached on/off class hours.
3) Classes were conveniently scheduled
4) You are dealing with a school with a recognized and reputable name (GWU) both in the academic and business world. That way you can boldly state just the name without explaining to a prospective employer who/where the training center is and how long they have been in business.

goodluck ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Experience is the Best Teacher
But its' cost is Heavy!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back