Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UNIX to PC communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtnMichael

Programmer
Aug 5, 2002
US
Is this the forum to ask this particular question...if not, can someone point me in the right direction..thanks

I want to communicate between two systems, UNIX and a Windows 2000 box. I have the UNIX side basically set to start communicating, but I need to get the PC side. How would I even start to do that? Plus, it needs to run constantly, so how would I do that?

Thanks
Mike

As usual, not enough info, but:

With a network connection, you can ftp and telnet to the unix system from any PC, and from Unix to the PC if the PC runs ftp and telnet servers in the background.

Where I worked until recently, IT had software running, I think on Unix, that emulated, a windows file share; the hard bit being the automatic user login. If you do not have such security issues, it would be lot easier.

The question is do you just want to ftp files, or do you want to mount one system on the other. ftp is easy, file share/mount is not so easy.

You could also try the general unix discussion forum.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I am not sure, doesn't SAMBA have something to do with this?

Kim.

'Everybody is ignorant - only on different subjects.'
Will Rogers.

SAMBA is the way to go. It is like MS file sharing but the security setup can be a bit of a headache. Once it is set up it does work well though.

The two systems will be connected to our private network. I'm using a communication program (wirtten in C) on the UNIX side that uses Berkeley sockets as opposed to netipc routines. This program will receive files from the PC. I need to configure ports on both sides so the communication can occur, but I don't know how to do that.
The PC side will have a similar program, most likely written in C++, that will transfer the files (when available) to the UNIX system for processing, and it has to be constantly running on the PC side. I'm to assume this is what they call a "service"?

If you are writing the programs you can use the network just as it stands. your program will take care of the communications. You should try the unix, and programming forums for more info on writing the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back