Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unix to Netware printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghallan

Technical User
Jul 9, 2003
GB
Hi
We are just about to migrate from Netware 4.11 to netware 6

Many of my users rely on unix to netware printing to configure their reports from elderly unix systems

How can I get similar facilities under netware 6?

Thanks

Visit and download the trial of SDLPD. I've used it on NW4.11 (FAR easier than fussing with Unix Print Services) to 5.1 (no v6). It's VERY easy to set up and reliable. Cost is about $100 per server as I recall.

NW6 and NDPS have it built in. Just configure the printer as NDPS and then click on the LPR tab in NWAdmin or Console1.

On the unix side, it just a standard remote printer, using the IP address of the NDPS manager and the name of the printer.

Chris.

Thanks

The reports the users produce are formatted (eg landscape, font size etc by unix to netware printing within Unicon

so far I have been unable to identify an equivalent in Netware 6

You must be using Laser Printers. I have one printer that is set to print landscape through the printer menu by default so that UNIX reports come out OK. It is not a problem for the Windows systems that print to this printer as the print drivers take care of the P/L changes any away. I got away from the UNIX/Netware Printing SW by adding Pocket Print Servers to all our Line Printers and adding several Laser Printers to the Network as well. I too print directly to the printers using the IP address. Much simpler. Now if I could just get away from NFS.

Ken

Yes all our printers are laser!

Unfortunately some of the Unix prints are portrait and some landscape! This is where Unix to netware printing really scores. Resources don't run to separate portrait and landscape printers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back