Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unix Software Requirements? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen

MIS
Dec 9, 1998
US
Is there a list of what software is REQUIRED to run Ellipse 5.2.3+? For example, do we need BEA Tuxedo, Autosys, Websphere (how much and how many seats), which Cobol and 'C' compiler etc? I am particularly interested in the requirements for an Oracle shop using HP or Sun servers. Mincom tends to minimize what additional 3rd party software is required, and I want to get the requirements right before providing an upgrade estimate.

Thanks,
Glen

Glen Colbert
gcolbert@rag-american.com

Glen

The Supported Platforms document dated June 2003 will give you the permutations and combinations that you need. This can be accessed through the support page on the Mincom Web site or through your account manager.

Phil

Phil,
Any idea where I might acquire a copy of the supported platforms document? A search of Mincom's website didn't find a match, and what information is there only pointed to the IBM website. I'm not sure that our IT Director cares enough about if we stay with MIMS to contact the account manager for the information.

Glen Colbert

Howdy,

For 5.2.3 Sun, you need IBM CICS, Microfocus Server Express for Cobol(note there are developer and app server licenses with this), Forte C++, and either Oracle or DB2. For HP, replace Forte with ansic - not aCC. Mincom Scheduler is a lot more pleasant and cheaper to work with than Autosys, and is fine for 99.8% of the sites out there. You only need Websphere if you are using Webview or possibly with the B2B stuff.

Even though we ended up going live with 5.2.1, we had 5.2.3 installed for a while during the early stages of implementation earlier this year.

The configuration at the time was HP-UX 11.0, CICS 4.2, MF Server Express (again, developer and app server licenses), HP Ansi C and Oracle. It was running just fine through 3270 emulation or through the Ellipse Client.

I can't think of any other software that had to be purchased in order to get Ellipse up and running (of course, you'd want to use CICS 5 now, instead of 4.2)

stephen.wales@riotinto.com

I think this addresses what we need on the back-end. How about the front-end? The demonstrations I've seen are using a web-based UI. Is this an IIS front end and what else does the web server side need??

Glen Colbert

You have two options. One is to use the Webview client, which is a pure web-based system. For this you need Websphere, which will run on either a Windows or a UNIX box. I recommend putting it on a separate server from the Ellipse server regardless of which OS you choose. You need nothing special aside from Websphere, Java, and the CICS Transaction Gateway. I have very little experience deploying it, so I can't either recommend it or warn against it educatedly.

The other option is the traditional client, which is now called WinView. Citrix is the best way to deploy it, but any of the old methods are also available. It is actually a bit easier to administer than previous clients since the screen files have all gone away. The 5.2.3 clients I have worked with are all using WinView.

Backend server
==============
For Unix:
TP - CICS (not available on Tru64) or Tuxedo
RDBMS - Oracle or DB2
COBOL - ServerExpress
C/C++ - Forte C++ (Sun)
HP ANSI C (HP)
IBM Visual Age C/C++ (AIX)
Compaq Cxx (Tru64)
Make - GNU Make (Distributed by Mincom)
Perl - GNU Perl (Distributed by Mincom)

For Windows:
TP - CICS or Tuxedo
RDBMS - Oracle or DB2 or SQLServer
COBOL - NetExpress
C/C++ - Microsoft Studio Visual C++
Make - GNU Make (Distributed by Mincom)
Perl - ActiveState Perl (Not distributed by customer)
Perl packages (Distributed by Mincom)
Others- Registry object,
Windows scripting host,
MMC and VB support,
Microsoft XML core services
(Distributed by Mincom)

Thanks to all (NOTE:Including our Account Manager at Mincom who noted the post and emailed a copy of the support Matrix to me. Thanks Darell). This did help.

Glen

Glen Colbert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back