Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UNIX Screen blank 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxster8

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2006
US
Hi All,

I have an old HP Visualize B180L. After it boots, you get the log in screen. You only have a moment or so to log in before the screen goes blank. At first I thought the motherboard might be bad. I can't telnet through the serial reports (no response) and I thought the video card might be bad, because you can see everything until the log in screen. But it almost seems like the person who maintained this server set up a script that blanks out the screen. If you initiate shutdwon, the screen comes back. Bottom line is that I need to get the files off the HP disk array(Model A3515A)that is attached. We have no spare Unix box. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Don

It sounds to me like it's loading up a graphical login screen that is failing to display properly. How do you initiate a shutdown if you can't log in, a power button of some kind?

Do you get any kind of boot/ISL prompt before HP-UX starts to boot? If so, try using boot -is to get into single-user mode.

Waht do you mean by "telnet through the serial ports"? telnet is a TCP/IP protocol, not serial... you would need to use some kind of serial terminal emulator and the correct kind of cable to connect to a serial port. Even then it would depend on the OS having been configured for serial port logins, I'm not sure whether this is configured by default on HP-UX.

A lot of guessing here, I'm not experienced with HP-UX or this hardware.

Annihilannic.

Thanks for the replies! I do have to initiate shut down with the power button. I will try to boot in single user mode and let you know! Never did that before.

Best regards,
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back