Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UNIX Introduction 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spockx2

Vendor
Jun 15, 1999
What is UNIX and where can I get instruction on using it?

UNIX (tm) is an Operating System (OS), which has been around for about 30 years or so.<br>
It runs (in my estimate) about 80-90% of web servers, FTP sites, email servers, etc,etc...<br>
<br>
It comes in many 'flavours' ranging from commercial ones (like Sun's "Solaris") to the free ("Linux", "FreeBSD").<br>
<br>
In the last few years, the free versions have gained a lot of popularity, Linux being at the forefront of this.<br>
Read more about Linux on Also see the Linux forum (in MIS group) here on tek-tips.<br>
<br>
- Milamber

If you want to learn about UNIX, your best bet might be to buy a recent book on UNIX or LINUX, either of which is likely to have a distribution (brand/version/etc.) of LINUX on a CD in the book itself. You can then install it on your computer, and learn by doing. UNIX and LINUX are not identical but they have a common heritage, and are very similar. One point of similarity they share, for example, is that they are both much more stable than Windows. :)<br>
<br>
Tom

If you want to find out alot about UNIX resources available on the internet. I suggest &lt;a href= Guru Universe&lt;/a&gt; they have globs of information well organized, a tip of the day and a beginners section.

Thanks for all the help........ I am impressed with the amount of info that is shared here. Thanks again

I am new to Unix/Linux.Just installed Red Hat 7.0 but I haven't had too much time to work with it since I was preparing for some tests.I would like to know what is the best certification (if any)to get in order to go towards UUnix Administration.Thanks for your help.
My email is parrabueno@yahoo.com

hi parrabueno

unix sun certification will do good when u r inclined to unix administration .
U have 2 papers on that
u can get info from sun site itself .

hi Spockx2

The best way to learn unix is to install and find out how it works on ur own .Dont attend any classes they r waste .
get a recent edition book and proceed .
unix is THE powerful OS ( hope all will agree with me )
will guide properly .
All the best .

regards
ramki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back