Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unix Backup Software Advice??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyS

Programmer
May 15, 2001
GB
I'm sure I've seen a similar post before but I cant find it anywhere.
I'm currently backing up my SCO Openserver v5.0.5 using cpio. I'm not overly happy with this and am looking to bring in some professional backup software. Anyone any advice or products they would recommend or otherwise? Thanks.

Take a look at BRU and Lone-Tar. I think Lone-tar may be more widely used on SCO.

Hi Jimmy,
I have used and installed Backup Edge and Recover Edge for many years. It is a great software and works
great with SCO.
Regards
Hershey

Backupedge or Lonetar would be my choices, but would suggest backup edge. Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hi Jimmy,
Additional information about backup Edge.
It is sold by Micrilite corp.
2315 Mill street,
Aliquippa, PA 15001
Tel. 888-257-3343
I hope that this will help.
Hershey

Jimmy,

It is obvious that BackupEdge is the program to use
as per above suggestions. For whatever its worth, I
like to also recommend BackupEdge.

Just recently, an SCO system crashed - the HD simply
died.

It took my customer longer to go to the store and buy
a new HD and swap it then it did to have a full system
restore.

Using BackupEdge recovery disks, she was able to boot
from floppy and have a fully restored system, OS and
all, in less than 3 hours.

To top it all off, Microlite tech support is second to
none - I can only compare them to FacetCorp !!!!

Regards;

Jose Lerebours
KNOWLEDGE: Something you can give away endlessly and gain more of it in the process! - Jose Lerebours

Thanks to everyone whose replied this post.

I recommend Lone-Tar, I have met the owners and programmers of lone-tar. I support 185 servers, it it has saved me countless hours on more than on occation due to hardware failure.

kara@cactus.com (sales)

I'm worried! I use cpio - what problems do I have in store in the event of disater?

Don't worry, cpio is fine.

To be sure, the best thing is to do a test rebuild on a spare system, if you have the luxury. Annihilannic.

If only!! :) I used to have in the past and then I did do a practice and I thought it was all OK. I just got worried when I saw people planning to spend money in case I had missed something. I'm getting old and turning into a worrier! Going into semi-retirement in France very soon and didn't want any unscheduled trips back to the UK to fix a broken system.

Interesting, I live there already. :) Email me at annihilannic at hotmail dot com if you want to compare notes... Annihilannic.

MM,
As I see it, CPIO has the same problem as TAR. If you get a recovery error your rebuild can be toast.
The super TARs have the capability of bit verification to at least verify that the stuff put on the tape is the same as what was intended and will show you what was done.
Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back