Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unix backup changes case of some filenames

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblancaster

Technical User
Jun 19, 2007
GB
We are running Arcserve r11.1 on a windows backup server and trying to backup a Solaris box running r11.2 client. When we take a backup and then look at the record in the database some of the filenames get changed from lower case to uppercase. When we then try to restore these files the restore can't find them because the case has changed. The only way we can get them back is to restore them to the backup server itself , where the case is correct , and then ftp them to the original solaris server. Can't find anyting on CA's site , can anyone help with this? Thanks

Are you using sql database for ARCserve? If so then pls check this.
By default when you create any db in sql the coalation mode is set to case insensitive and which will cause issues storing case sensitive OS info like solaris. Best to change the coalation mode of sql to case sensitive mode. you can find this info by doing a right click on the sql asdb from sql ent manager and going into properties. A '**CI**' in the coalation name is case insensitive

Thanks for this .The coalation is set to Latin1_General_CI_AS, so is case insensitive. How do I change it?

we can try setupsql but I am not positive that it may change because the way sql works. By default any new db in sql is case insensitive (though you can set the coalation during sql server installation). Setting a custom coalation name is possible only at the time of new db creation from sql ent manager. I would suggest to stop db engine from ARCserve, rename the existing sql asdb, create a new sql db from ent manager with the name asdb (while creating make sure we set the right coalation name Latin1_General_CS_AS), then run 'setupsql' to create ARCserve tables on the newly created asdb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back