Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

universe question - grouping

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelajhia

Programmer
May 19, 1999
US
I have a user who's been using a universe for a while, however it does not have the requisite 'group by' that they need and it returns far too many records to be manageable.

How do I go into the universe and edit the sql or at least add the group by?
All the terminology in designer seems different than what I am used to in dealing with data, so I am not sure if that means 'aggregating', adding hierarchies or what...

please point me in the right direction on this.

Thanks!

Is the user using a measure object which is defined in the universe using an SQL aggregate function such as sum,avg,max or min?

BOE will only generate grouping SQL if such a measure object is used in the query.

I changed the object to a measure-type with a function of sum, but I still don't see how to the say 'group by...such and such'

any further help much appreciated!

You won't specific set the 'group by' clause. If the user places the measure in a query/on a report, the appropriate 'group by' will automatically be added to the SQL.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back