Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unique "Requesting Data" Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjernigan

MIS
Mar 12, 2003
US
I have one user ... and of course it happens to be the CEO <rolleyes> that after about 15 min in Outlook 2002 he begins receiving the &quot;Requesting Data ...&quot; message.

He is running Windows XP, I run Exchange 5.5 on NT 4.0. He is the only one experiencing this problem ... we have other similar setups (XP and Outlook 2002) where no one else has a problem. The unique issue is that he only receives this message when he is connected to the LAN via the on board NIC (laptop) BUT the problem doesn't occur when connected via the wireless card. I have deleted the NIC and recreated the &quot;Local Area Connection&quot; but the result is the same. Also, while the &quot;Requesting Data ...&quot; message is up, I am unable to ping the mail server from the command prompt, but can surf the net and ping all other servers/workstations without issue.

I have Exch 5.5 SP4 running on a NT 4.0 SP6a box. All my users running Windows 2000/XP and Outlook 2002 get this &quot;requesting data&quot; message when they click on the &quot;To&quot; button to bring up the Global Address List, or when they click on &quot;Send&quot; on an internal or external e-mail. My Win XP/Outlook 2002 machine seemed to be the only one that was immune to this. I just recently got a new computer with XP and Outlook 2003, and I am now no longer immune. Seems like every time I want to use Outlook it has to request data from the server for 30 seconds or a whole minute. All my desktops are patched with the latest Microsoft patches. All my Win 2000/Outlook 2000 people have no problem whatsoever.

Have you had any luck resolving your issue with the CEO? I'm grasping at straws for something to try next...

No luck whatsoever, the big thing saving me at the moment is that he prefers to connect to the network via wireless, which oddly enough works fine.

I'm fully patched, and this seemed to happen &quot;out of the blue&quot; meaning that things were working fine, then suddenly stopped working after his recent business trip to Japan. Outlook still works fine for ~15 min then, the &quot;Requesting Data&quot; message starts.

I've been away from the office for a few days ... but just before leaving, I discovered that the problem had gone away on its own. The heat is off for now, but I would still like to know what was causing the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The onboard network card is zapped or defective.

On his recent trip, his nic processor may be zapped or damaged to the point it will not process certain data packet correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back