Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unique Mailbox move issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

toniak

MIS
Dec 29, 2004
US
Hi Everyone

I had a client exchange server crash - not just exchange but a hard disk failure. Luckily eveyone here runs on cached mode, so I was able to at least get thier email into a pst file. (No backups) After HOURS on the phone with Microsoft - here is what I did - I installed exchange on anotehr server (different name and different IP) Removed all exchange atributes from every user added them back to point to the new server and changed thier local settings in outlook to point to the new box - Then I updated dns - changed basically everything to point to the new server. It worked great - Now I need to get everyone back on the old server (It has been rebuilt and currently up and running with a couple of test accounts) My question is this -

How do I merge the two mailboxes together. I know I can do an exmerge of the "new" one but the old server has the database with all of the groups db lists contacts etc - I want to basically take the account Joe User on server1 and move it to Joe User on Server 2. Do I remove Exchange attributes again? Would it be better to attempt a move? If I remove the exchange attributes again will it pick up the old mailbox when they log in?

Thanks for all of your help guys!
Tonia

UPDATE -

Okay - I know that the question that I asked won't work - I tried it both ways on a user account that is not of any importance -

New Question

the accounts are sitting out there - I thought hey - why not exmerge the data from it and merge it into the new address - right - NOPE exmerge is only picking up the new stuff on that server. I can see everything (all of the old email accounts) in system mananager - but I can't get exmerege to see anything but the new stuff -

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks!
Tonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back