Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unique Item N in an Excel List

Status
Not open for further replies.

DQR

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
GB
Is there an Excel function which will return the Nth unique item in a list please? For example, if I have the names Albert, Bessie, Carrie, Albert, Carrie, Carrie & Davina in cells A1:A7 respectively, I want FX(A1:A7,1) to return the value Albert, FX(A1:A7,2) to return the value Bessie and FX(A1:A7,3) to return the value Carrie etc, for some function FX.

I can sort the list if necessary, and run a set of checks on whether the Nth item equals the (N+1)th item, but this is rather messy. I'm hoping there is an easier way, but I can't see one; also I can't find a keyword that produces any useful response from the online help.

Many thanks for any help received.
DQR

Is the ultimate goal to extract all unigue items from the list?

Blue [dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

I want
FX(A1:A7,1) to return the value Albert,
FX(A1:A7,2) to return the value Bessie and
FX(A1:A7,3) to return the value Carrie etc, for some function FX.

So, practically you want to loop through every cell and read values ? I don't see "unique" part ...
Or you want to loop through every cell and read values those are different from values already read ???
"xplain

Think you'll need a UDF for this one:

Option Base 1
Function GetUnique(mItem As Integer, rng As Range)
Dim sArr As Variant, uArr() As Variant, loopItem As Integer, isUnique As Boolean
sArr = Range(rng.Address)
ReDim uArr(UBound(sArr))
uArr(1) = sArr(1, 1)
For i = 2 To UBound(sArr)
For x = LBound(uArr) To UBound(uArr)
isUnique = True
If sArr(i, 1) = uArr(x) Then
isUnique = False
Exit For
End If
If uArr(x) = "" Then
loopItem = x
Exit For
End If
Next x

If isUnique = True Then uArr(loopItem) = sArr(i, 1)
Next i
ReDim Preserve uArr(loopItem)
If mItem > UBound(uArr) Then GetUnique = "Greater than total unique values" Else GetUnique = uArr(mItem)

End Function

function would be
=GetUnique(3,A1:A50)

this will get you the 3rd unique item in A1:A50

upper and lower case will be treated as different - if you don't want that then change:
If sArr(i, 1) = uArr(x) Then
to
If upper(sArr(i, 1)) = upper(uArr(x)) Then

HTH

Rgds, Geoff
[blue]Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes![/blue]
Want the [red]best[/red] answers to your questions ? faq222-2244

BlueDragon2, TLady and Geoff, many thanks for your replies and your time. This note is just to summarise both the problem and to my progress with it since the original posting: I think it's now solved.

BlueDragon2 - I actually want to be able to select the Nth ordered entry from the list, ignoring duplicates, and to copy that entry into a cell of my choosing. I originally assumed this would be an easy task, because if I apply a filter to the original list (using the Filter item on the Data menu), the resulting drop-down menu supplies me with exactly the list of choices I want, from which all I'd have to do is pick the 1st, 2nd, 3rd item or whatever. I wasn't however able to find a built-in function that would perform that task.

TLady - my apologies for not making the problem clearer. You are right in saying that I effectively want to loop through every cell and read those values that are different from values already read - except that I want to select the Nth ordered item from that list.

Geoff - many thanks for your GetUnique function: it looks like exactly what I'm after, given that there doesn't appear to be a built-in function to do what I want.

I've been experimenting since placing the original query, and have discovered that setting up a pivot table (on the Data menu) comes very close to what I need, since the row or column headings of that table can be made to contain the list I want. The only problem with it is that I'd like the list I produce to update automatically each time I change the original list - and pivot tables don't automatically update when the original list is changed.

I've also been looking for anything previously posted on Tek-Tips, and found a reference to a website which discusses duplicate and unique items in lists ( Under "Extracting Unique Entries" is made the same point as in the previous paragraph about automatic updating, together with an array formula which apparently cracks the problem - so I think my problem might also be solvable this way. I'm now going to do some experimenting...

Again, thank you all for your time and efforts.
Best regards,
DQR

If you just want a list of unique items, have a look at data>filter>advanced filter

This has an option for unique values

Also, with the pivot table, how about coding an auto_refresh.....

you could set up the worksheet change event to only fire when an item in col A is changed:

If target.column <> 1 then exit sub
thisworkbook.refreshall

Rgds, Geoff
[blue]Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes![/blue]
Want the [red]best[/red] answers to your questions ? faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back