Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UNIQUE equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir88

Programmer
Jan 8, 2005
CA
hello everyone, I wanted to know the equivalent for the keyword 'UNIQUE' which is used in SQL to make two columns into a Composite key, in MS-Access.

If you do not know about the UNIQUE keyword in SQL, basically all I want is to make to columns a composite key. Meaning: Just Like if you were to make them primary keys except they are not primary keys they just follow the validation rule:

example

X Y
1 1
1 2
3 2
2 1

If X and Y were composite keys, I could add any value in X and any value in Y as long as I don't repeat the values leading to them

for example 3 2 is not permitted because it already exists but 3 1 and 2 2 is because only one of the keys is repeated and not both. if that made any sense please help...

JetSQLhelp said:
CREATE [ UNIQUE ] INDEX index
ON table (champ [ASC|DESC][, champ [ASC|DESC], ...])
[WITH { PRIMARY | DISALLOW NULL | IGNORE NULL }]

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Thanks for the quick reply. But Im using Ms-Access where do I put your SQL code

CREATE [ UNIQUE ] INDEX index
ON table (champ [ASC|DESC][, champ [ASC|DESC], ...])
[WITH { PRIMARY | DISALLOW NULL | IGNORE NULL }]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back