Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unique Constraints in already existing columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrivera

Technical User
Sep 14, 2000
PR
My scenario is the following: (SQL Svr 7.0)

I have a table that contains (among others) a column "MyColumn" that up to now it has been defined as NULL due to business rules.

So, although this column can indeed allow null values, however I would like to create a UNIQUE constraint to it, so that every value placed on it is unique, except <NULL> of course.

As far as I read on Books Online, that can supposedly be done. However, when I navigate into the table's design, then on Properties, I attempt to create it as a UNIQUE CONSTRAINT (not index), but the system doesn't allow it, remarking that there is a duplicate value, which is the <NULL>.

I also try it by means of the Query Analyzer, get the same error.

Could anyone help?

What you have seen is the expected behavior. SQL Server 7 only allows one null in columns with a unique constraint. I believe the SQL 7 documentation is incorrect or at least misleading on this point. SQL 2000 BOL clears the issue with this statement.

&quot;When you attach a unique constraint to a column allowing null values, you ensure that at most one row will have a null value in the constrained column.&quot; Terry Broadbent
Please review faq183-874.

&quot;The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge.&quot; - Daniel J Boorstin

Yep, I noticed...

Nevertheless, what I did was to force the behavior like the one I was expecting by means of a trigger. It's working fine now.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back