Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UNION SELECT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jestrada101

Technical User
Mar 28, 2003
Would it be quicker to return data by specifying a UNION like the following, or should I include all columns?

select * from tableA
union
select * from tableB

Thanks for any info.
JE

JE,

I don't quite understand your question, "Would it be quicker to return data by specifying a UNION like the following, or should I include all columns ?"...Your example does include all columns and it is a UNION. Regardless of my misunderstanding, you typically do not need to fear the use of Oracle's SET operators, including UNION: SET operators are among Oracle's tightest and quickest code, gram for gram, even when you SELECT all columns.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 15:42 (18May04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 08:42 (18May04) Mountain Time)

Thanks Mufasa...

what I was trying to say... would it there be any difference between using the "*" or specifying all the columns...

Thanks for the info.

JE

JE,

Now I understand the question...you mean, "Is there a performance difference between implicit definition of all columns (i.e., "*") versus explicit definition of all columns?" I have no documentation to back it up, but my intuition tells me that "*" would be slightly faster than the processing required during the interpreter step to verify proper spelling and existance of each individual column. But, again, that's just my "guess".

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 16:08 (18May04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 09:08 (18May04) Mountain Time)

It's not just a question of which is quicker.

What happens when you change on of the tables by adding, dropping, or modifying a column.

If the select .. union is just an one-time deal, no problem.

If it's going to become a part of a stored procedure, it's not a good practice.

Aryeh Keefe

Aryeh,

I don't quite understand your concern. If you modify the table, regardless of whether you use "*" or explicit column references, Oracle flags any referencing stored procedure as "INVALID", thus causing either an explicit or implicit re-compile.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 17:01 (18May04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 10:01 (18May04) Mountain Time)

Mufasa,
You are correct about needing to recompile.

I'm just saying that in this situation it would be wise to do it explicitly.

When doing select * from two different tables, if someone adds a column to table 1, but not to table2, then the procedure won't recompile successfully. If the columns are explicitly named, then the recompile will succeed.

There might be a need to add the new column to the select list, but at least the procedure would run in the meanwhile.

I also said that the select * is valid for a one time anonymous sql block.

Is that clearer? I speak based on my experience of finding the problem with a developers process that suddenly didn't work when they changed the table structure in a select * situation.

That sure brings back fond memories.

Aryeh Keefe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back