Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstalling win backoffice server 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbundy

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2003
US
I'm just breaking into this field and in need of some advice.

I have win backoffice server 4.0 running with win 4.0 nt server. I plan on converting the server to a workstation to be loaded with win xp pro. I do meet/exceed the min. requirements to install win xp pro. How do I unistall the server OS or do I need to format the entire harddrive? If i need to reformat the harddrive...how do I do that? What else should I do? Thanks in advance!

If you're sure you want to get rid of backoffice, the easiest way would be to format the drive and start fresh.. if you boot off the XP cd it will guide you through everything

Just make sure theres NOTHING you need from the server first though! :)

Thanks for the prompt response. I booted off the Win XP cd, but I ended up getting error messages that I can't install Win XP any further. How can I format the harddrive? I can't get into a dos bootup? I keep getting the OS 4.0 loader which eventually loads up win nt4.0. Any other words of wisdom? Thanks again!

Youll have to look in the BIOS (look for messages saying something like "Press xxx to enter system setup" on startup) to make sure the system is setup to boot from the CDROM before the hard drive first.. I cant give much more detail than that, as theres quite a few ways the different BIOS's do this!

I did it. I've made the changes in the SCSI BIOS, and formatted the HD and then loaded win xp. Thanks for your help!:) Win xp seems to be running well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back