Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstalling PWS (Once again...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensibilium

Programmer
Apr 6, 2000
GB
Hi all,<br><br>I've been trying my hardest to uninstall PWS (Personal Web Server) from my machine, but it's not listed in the Add/Remove Programs ¦ Windows Setup dialog.<br><br>I have looked through my Startup folder (it's not there), I've even searched through the win.ini file but again without luck.<br><br>I remember there being a thread concerning this, but searching this forum for it comes up with no results :eek:(<br><br>Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance. <p>ahdkaw<br><a href=mailto:ahdkaw@sensibilium.com>ahdkaw@sensibilium.com</a><br><a href= you do visit my sites - be warned! You must be of a discordian nature...'

Hi,<br><br>Go to program files. Under PWS choose setup and then next button then select remove. <p>din<br><a href=mailto:tidrus@bigfoot.com>tidrus@bigfoot.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>ICQ # 26094048

PWS does not have it's own folder under Program Files... There is no setup.exe program to run...<br>Thanks for trying though!&nbsp;&nbsp;:eek:)<br><br>Anyone else have any idea's? <p>ahdkaw<br><a href=mailto:ahdkaw@sensibilium.com>ahdkaw@sensibilium.com</a><br><a href= you do visit my sites - be warned! You must be of a discordian nature...'

Hi,<br><br>Then how sure are you that PWS was installed on your PC???? <p>din<br><a href=mailto:tidrus@bigfoot.com>tidrus@bigfoot.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>ICQ # 26094048

Thanks Din for your lack of confidence in my ability to recognise whether I have PWS actually installed on the machine! The fact of the matter is that if the PWS service is running in the System Tray, then it is installed for certain.<br><br>However, I have now managed to solve this, thanks to your original inaccurate reply.<br><br>So, to uninstall PWS when it doesn't appear in 'Windows Setup' is as follows.<br><FONT FACE=monospace>Insert Win98SE Disc in CD-Rom<br>Click Start ¦ Run<br>Type 'x:/add-ons/pws/setup.exe' (replacing x with your CDROM letter)<br>Click 'Next'<br>Click 'Uninstall'</font><br><br>And that will get rid of the MTS files too.<br> <p>ahdkaw<br><a href=mailto:ahdkaw@sensibilium.com>ahdkaw@sensibilium.com</a><br><a href= you do visit my sites - be warned! You must be of a discordian nature...'

Where do i download the personal web server form if i do not have the disc? Someone remind me the url
mwangison

Can I just turn PWS off so it doesn't appear in my system tray & doesn't us up resources? Or is uninstalling it the only way to put it to sleep?

PWS is flaky...using the icon Stop service will not allow you to compile the dll..the following works well for me.

2. Making Two bat files to turn the PWS on and off. 
a. Open Word Pad
b. Type in the following-> pws /stop
c. Save this file as pwsStop.bat in
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INETSRV
d. Open a new file and type in the following-> pws/start
e. Save this file as pwsStart.bat in
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INETSRV
f. Now make a shortcut for each of these bat files for
your desk top.

Uninstall PWS is not a big deal as people thought be'coz it is not listed in add/remove list.

Just follow the simple steps:

In Windows 98 CD >> add-ons >> pws >> setup.exe

A dilog box will open asking
1] Add/Remove selected items
2] Remove all

Select what you want, if you want to completely remove then select second option and your done. But don't forgot to restart your system after uninstaling.

-Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back