Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstalling progarms - I mean completely

Status
Not open for further replies.

satpach

Technical User
Sep 23, 2002
DE
I am a novice when it comes to Windows 2000 Pro, but after I unistalled a program that I did not want (rebooted, just to be sure), I did a RegEdit and Edit-->Find on a string = "Program name" and found at least a dozen keys which had entries relating to this program still sitting around.
How do I completely delete all traces of the program ?

I don't know, Satpach. Re-installing your computer sounds like WAY overkill. That would have to be one killer piece of trialware to go through that.

What exactly is this trialware? To go to this much trouble it must be GOOD! (Maybe I need a copy!)

LeBodge.

"I know what I like and I like what I know"

Its no killer, just a ripper from CNET ... and yes, reinstalling IS overkill. Instead I would pay for it and get the full version.

The emphasis of my question was to understand the extent of my ignorance with the inner workings of Program install and uninstalls and all your posts are indeed eye-opening !!

Can someone explain the importance of going to such meassures to make an app run? Why can't windows recognize the app is non-existant and clean its own registry? Why do you need to register apps? I just installed XP over a Win2k install and all the apps that were installed under 2k poped right up (ie. illustrator, photoshop and all my games) So how important is the registry if I can run apps that technically were not installed under the booted registry. Just my 2 cents, but I'm a little shocked that no one has a problem with how convaluted windows is. I come from the old Mac days of about 10 years ago where every lick of resources were crucial and small differences at start up were noticable. Yah Macs were pretty slow back then but at this time the PC was a joke for graphics. I use graphics as an example because they utilize every aspect of ones hardware. But even way back then I knew my system folder inside and out. There was not a single file in there that I couldn't tell you why it was there or what it was for. Every component needed to run an app or service was either an extension, a control panel or preference. So why is windows so damn complicated and revolting? Do you guys like tinkering or something? If that's the case ignore me, but I grew up in a world where you had control over the comp, not the other way around. Oh, and can someone tell me something the PC can do that the Mac cant, besides be taken home for 2/3 of the price? It's no longer bickering, I'm genuinly confused: If the Mac is sorta accepted as the standard for the graphics industry, and if the primary purpose of your most expensive components are for playing graphically intensive games, then wouldnt the Mac be the best bet for makeing today's latest games look and run their best? If this is so, why do we continue to buy PC's? Do we not think for ourselves anymore? BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Hey jAQUAN:

As somebody not being on first-name basis with Windows registry and its keys, I often wonder why the damn thing is so complicated and why there aren't rules and exceptions as you have with other robust software like SAP. I dont mind having many rules and few exceptions to the rules, but in the case of Windows, it really seems to have been put together by an itinerant set of developers - in that there is very little overall vision.

I know Gates hires very 'smart' folks, and unlike other 'technically oriented software companies' Microsoft is very business savvy, but that does not exonerate a bad design and poor development.

I wonder if its my ignorance that is fuelling these thoughts or are the more knowledgeable folks out there share similar sentiment.

If I ask my OS to delete something I dont want, and it does not do it completely, am I not being cheated ?

Indeed I am no expert, but my point is you should NOT have to be one. Sure a little comon sense know how is required to keep your computer up, but you gotta change the oil in your car too. I dont mind a little maintenece but this contstantly solving niftly little microsoft problems is rediculus. It used to warm my heart to see, in a world of coniving corruption hell bent on sacraficing the talented in order to hide their own ignorance (how hard is it to stand up and say "I'm ignorant about that subject, please enlighten me."), that at least the hardware/software market was going to conist of only pure innovation. I couldnt be sadder to realize my last bastion for marketable purity has gone the way of the automobile. A new feature every year does not an OS make. I have a buddy who works for my cable modem provider and he says they have an extra manual just to help XP users. Why the hell is that? Arent things supposed to get better? That's a serious dilema for me now. I used to argue on apples behalf endlessly but they kept doing stupid shit like not going after the game market or not making sure an OSX version of photoshop would available at launch. They got a lot better and now the only way to win an argument with me is ask if I can play Everquest on a Mac. At that point I shut up and wonder just how much longer this will go on before the Mac prices drop, the windows users get fed up and the game market standardizes dual releases. I just want Windows users to start saying, "I'd buy a Mac if I could afford it." That would at least restore some faith in humanity. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

I couldn't agree more on this issue with you.

Drawing analogy with SAP and if you know what I am talking about, SAP is like the OS for businesses (especially large ones) and they have not ONE "silly" upgrade to name. The quality of software so superior in terms of robustness, stability, security and I haven't begun talking functionality yet. And yet, many often blame them for not "milking" their customers (Microsoft-style) by touting upgrades every year, especially since customers are locked into the investment.

If every software company starts charging you for cosmetic changes then it will go the way of the dot com boom and bust we saw lately. Microsoft is getting away with its antics simply because the others are not following suit. Its a monopoly of the cunning.

As much as I wish I could disagree, I can't. I like to think that if Apple finally got the market share it deserved, we would all enter into computing Utopia. But the sad truth is that Apple's tactics would probably change to simulate Microsofts. Hmmm, maybe someday one there is no more money and everyone is an artist.... BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

You guys seem to be forgetting that most of these apps designed for the Windows OS were not created by Microsoft. Sure you have a host of Microsoft Apps but other than the occasional home user who buys or betas 2003 Server, most will only only have Office suite and the OS. Where do the other apps come from? That's right, independent developers. They are the ones who are supposed to test their apps to conformity with Windows. I think most people bark up the wrong tree when it comes to MS. Would anyone dare to agree with me? "Scientists have proven that living actually causes death."

Personally, I feel this entire thread has deteriorated into a bunch of Utopian garbage. "Maybe someday when there is no more money and everyone is an artist?" Well, I guess when that day comes we all starve and die. Is this forum really the place for this liberal tripe? Reality check. If you like Apple, get an Apple. If you prefer Linux, load Linux. But Microsoft is here to stay. Enough whining already.

That's my two cents. Mekkins, out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back