Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstall second copy of W2K Pro - How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomFino

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2003
US
Hi All,

I did something very stupid and should be shot. Now I need suggestions on how to save myself.

I have a Dell laptop running Windows 2000 Pro. When I initially installed the software I did so as the administrator and then created a user account where I do my daily tasks. Anyway, I tried to perform a defrag of the hard drive and received an error saying that the program needed to be reinstalled. So (without thinking) like a dummy, I put in my CD and installed Windows 2000 Pro again. Only this time I was logged on as the user not the administrator. Now when I try to run Microsoft office or other programs I receive errors that there is no relationship to the program I am trying to run.

My questions are: How do I uninstall the second copy of Windows 2000 Pro? Do I need to delete everything and completely start over from scratch?

Signed - Dummy

It seems u have reinstalled Win2KPro on the same installation path, thus wiping out all installation details and user accounts.

"Only this time I was logged on as the user not the administrator. "

This is not quite clear as if you re-installed W2K, u would have assined a new administrative username and password.

"Now when I try to run Microsoft office or other programs I receive errors that there is no relationship to the program I am trying to run."

This is because the program in the Program files directory is the previous OS installation.

My questions are: How do I uninstall the second copy of Windows 2000 Pro? Do I need to delete everything and completely start over from scratch?

Information u have provided is insufficient two possibilities.

1. U installed Win2K on the same OS (As I indicated above)
2. U have two copies of Win2K - use the boot menu to select the OS

Chances are you have no way to uninstall - best thing is to re-install all sw on the new OS.

Lasith

Signed - Dummy

Lasith G.
B.Sc (Hons), MIEEE
Coordinator - ITRC,USJP

Lasith,
Thanks for replying to my call for help.

I did not get asked to assign a new admin username password during this fiasco. Therefore, does that mean I only have one copy of the OS on my machine?

If so, then I sould be able to reinstall all my software as you suggested. Correct?

Signed - Dummy

Do you get all the menu's for the programs - If so I doubt whether your programs were erased/reinstalled. Best Option is to reinstall Office and other apps. It looks like your previous OS installation is still intact.

lasithg

Lasith G.
B.Sc (Hons), MIEEE
Coordinator - ITRC,USJP

Hi Lasith G.,

Thanks again for your reply.

I bit the bullet over the weekend and fdisk’ed my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 2K and all the updates. I then reinstalled all my programs. I then restored all my data from a backup copy. I took this route to be certain that the system was once again running correctly with no hidden surprises.

I have to say this is a long and tedious process but the results seem to be good except for one thing.

Background:
I have an Administrator account and a Power User account set up, which both have the right to do just about anything. These two accounts work without any problems.

I then created a General User account that I want to be my auto login account when windows starts. This account will NOT be permitted to install programs. After all that is what got me in trouble in the first place. My idea is that if I try to install a program while signed on as the General User, I will be denied access. That will force me to log off as the General User and sign on as Administrator or Power User to do the install.

My problem is, when logged in as the General User and I try to run programs all works fine except Microsoft Access. When I try to open MS Access, I receive the following error:

“This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control Panel.”

However, if I try to open any other program (word, excel, etc.) I do not get the error.

My question is, what do I need to do to permit MS Access to open without the error message? I looked at the folder options control panel but did not see any way to create an association.

Thanks for your help
Dom

PS - Sorry for this longwinded message.

Dom,

Well I'm sort of guessing here, but here it is,

1. Type Msaccess on Run

2. If that doesnt do it,
Why dont u go over to the C:\program files\Microsoft office directory and give write access to the General User.

I think that should help.

Lasith G.
B.Sc (Hons), MIEEE
Coordinator - ITRC,USJP

Lasith G.
Thanks, I will give that a try tonight.
Dom

Another educated (or uneducated) guess:

It is possible that with your reinstallation of Office, that Access was not installed; or was only installed as a Start Menu entry with the option to "install on first use". A basic User account would then not have the privileges to perform that installation.

I would suggest logging on using the Admin account, and see if the program runs. If it does simply open and run, then it would seem you're having problems with access right under the User account; try what Lasith posted above. If not, it should prompt you to insert the office installation CD to begin the install process.

If neither of the above happens, pop in the Office CD and start up the installation the old fashion way; or goto the "Add/Remove Programs" applet in the Control Panel, select Office, and select "change".

Then choose Access as the only program to be installed, and specifically: installed with the "run all from my computer" option.

Please let me know what you try and how it works. Nobody every leaves another response after one of my posts. I'm starting to feel like a Typhoid Mary, or something.

- Mr. Gone
A+, Net+, MCP (Win2K Pro)

Mr. Gone,
Thanks for your suggestions.

If I sing on as Administrator or the Power User, everything works great. No problems with any programs including Access.

Only the General User account has a problem with MS Access. Other than that, the General User account works fine. After I get home tonight, I will first try Lasith's suggestion. If that does not work, I will give your suggestion a go and post back late tonight or tomorrow with my results.
Thanks again.

Lasith G. & Mr. Gone

Success! I followed lasithg's advice and it worked. Problem resolved.

Thanks for all you help guys,
Dom Fino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back