Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstall Program Automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbargsley

MIS
Nov 2, 2004
US
Hello all...

We have currently installed an application on some systems on our network that we need to remove. I would like to create an exe file that I can put in the users login script, but I do not know how to do an Add/Remove function through Visual Basic.

What I am trying to do is basically go to Add/Remove Programs, click on the program name Software Package and click Remove.

I need to do the above steps, without user intervention.

Any help or guidance would be great.

The uninstall just runs the value of this registry key:
HHEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\[red]Program_Name_Here[/red]\UninstallString

So why not just use a shell execute for the uninstall program.

PS: Most uninstall programs have a user interface but some of them allow you to use some command line switches to do it in quiet mode... if so you might want to see if your uninstall supports this.

Slight correction to the registry key above... the key itself stops at the program name and 'UninstallString' is a string value UNDER the key.

I hope that made sense.

I found and tested the solution that you mentioned.

The only problem is that it asks for the user to click on ok to start the uninstall process.

Are there any standards ways to uninstall without user input?

Garry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back