Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

uniform-dialplan question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will A

MIS
Oct 6, 2016
US
I've inherited a G3 v12 pbx and we're in the process of migrating off of it. I'm looking into either scripting or scheduling some operations. The 'clear amw all [ext]' and 'rem station [ext]' commands work fine, but the 'change uniform-dialplan [ext]' command is causing me some trouble because it then opens a tabular display and I have to move the cursor to the next open slot in that table.

I'm wondering if there's either a way to schedule the uniform-dialplan changes via a csv file or something. ...or... With Cisco CM, I would define a pattern of say 1xxx which would be a less explicit match than say x1001. So if x1001 and x1003 are defined and assigned to phones, calls to those numbers would ring the phones but calls to x1002 would follow whatever logic was associated with the 1xxx route pattern. Is there a way to configure the uniform-dialplan like that?

thanks,
will

Maybe, but probably not worth the effort.

With the new stuff there's some things you can export as csv and send back, but not on that older release.

If all extensions are in the 2000 - 2999 range, and I have a bunch of random extensions in that range assigned... Can I have a catch-all uniform-dialplan entry of 2xxx (or whatever Avaya uses for wildcards -- maybe 2 with a len of 4??)? That way as I remove the station, the number would automagically be follow the routing logic in that catch-all pattern?

Sure. If your dialplan parameters page has EXT before UDP, then if ext 2542 doesn't exist, check udp - match on 2 with min/max 4 and go to AAR/ARS and take a trunk.

the dialplan parameters shows "udp-table-first". The other option is "local-extensions-first". If I'm understanding you, I'd have to change that parameter in order to accomplish what you're explaining. Guessing there's no way you'd be able to tell me if that would break anything based on what I've posted so far??

To say it won't break anything is at best tentative , but rather than thinking of it as break , it will rather match against different logic , so as long as you have no local extensions you need to match in that 2xxx range and stay on switch you will be ok , CM will always treat a wildcard entry as the last thing it matches on in any table (dialling wise), the dial plan anayalsis table is the functionality that tells the CM on how to behave , nothing else overrides dial plan analysis , it all flows out from that start point.

ACSS (UC/SBCE/SM/SME)

Not that they mean a thing anymore , get a brain dump pass the test crash the system.

This is a good discussion to refresh my memory...

Test it out - 2 of length 4 is EXT in dialplan analysis, and dialplan parameters is udp-before-ext, does 2000 hit AAR and your tie or ext 2000?

To monty's point, everything goes thru dialplan analysis first but I would think anything tagged UDP would preclude any extensions from ever living in that range.

So, with the example of the 2000s, it must be ext in your dialplan analysis table to have stations in that range, then after that, I would think the parameter of udp 1st or ext 1st would kick in. You have the option of either doing udp first and never bothering removing the stations and just pre-empt ranges in UDP for your migration, or do EXT first and have all UDP done before hand and trigger on removing the extension in the PBX to get to UDP when you migrate.

I'm a bit rusty on the concept to be honest, but I'm more than happy to make an argument that it should work this way.

In your shoes, I'd pre-empt in UDP if your migration involves contiguous ranges. The 2100s this week, the 2200s next week. I'd do ext first if you were getting non-contiguous blocks of stations migrating over every other day or week and just remove the stations at that point.

I would think in a good dial plan that extensions as well as all udp's should be unique to keep things simple

yeah...until you go to a national 10 digit dialplan with a requirement for no ARS code.
When the customer needs 10 or 1+10 internal or external things get sticky!

Yup. Nationalized, standard, whatever's in active directory is what you call, whatever comes in on the SIP trunks is 10 digit and routes easy.

I'm not saying it's the best, but there is a simplicity to just having everyone dial 10 digit across a bunch of sites and not care whether the destination is on or off net.

At any rate, to deal with the whole country 2 thru 9 of length 10 must be EXT, and you have to do ext 1st and then have everything else in UDP hit ARS and it works.

That's why I like these forums and questions like this that help stretch the mind a bit!

Thanks guys. I tested this morning and it seems to work exactly as you described.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back