Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unified Messaging and Fax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiff01

Technical User
Sep 14, 2005
CA
Ok here goes a bevy of questions. Probably some arent so stellar, but hey, i'm still learning this BCM thing.
Our Sales Office has purchased a BCM 400. They are going to use the analog phones (so i am told, no IP soft phones are being used) and they want Unified messaging set up for faxing.
Now I have poured through the documentation on the BCM about this, but I am still confused.
I am probably trying to compare this to a Facsys setup.
My understanding is that you can designated a number on the BCM for a fax number do all the configuration in the call pilot (still learning how to do this), and set it to fax only. Then you can install the unified messaging on the client pc, I assume you have to check install fax driver and presto bango you got fax messages that come into you email client.
My questions
First one (this one is probably going to be deemed dumb)
There does not need to be any physical fax machines connected to the BCM? THe BCM itself can distinguish between voice and data and route them accordingly?
second, - when a fax comes in, the phone will not ring right? it goes straight to VM, then at the end of the VM it prompts it to FAX mailbox?

I really appreciate all the help I have gotten on this forum. IT has been a life saver, plus I learn somethign new everytime.

Thanks
James

correct: no fax machine is needed.
Once you set a vm box to fax only it will not ring.
I have not test leaving voicemail in a fax only vm box.
If both services (vm and fax are needed) The bcm will sort of distinguish between vm and fax but the fax machine on the other end must be able to pause through the vm message and then another short pause for a message that says "Transmit Now".
I have done most of what you are trying to do and can advice more if you need it.
You can also set a physical line as an "Express Line" for a dn and it will not ring or use the auto-attendant.
Thanks
Larry

ONe more thing, mulitple users require their own DID number to recieve fax?
I think what the business is aiming for is a main office fax and the higher ups in the business have their secretaries set up on their own fax, and all other users use the main office fax...

Larry,

Here is what we are aiming to do.
Users will have VM and Fax come into their email via the unified messaging.
Now I am not sure how this will work. Do we set up 1 DID as their phone number and another as the Fax, or can 1 DID act as both. Also, with the limitations on the physical fax machine sending a fax to a user, I assume not all models have the capability to pause for the transmit now tone.
I guess I am wondering about the unified messaging aspect too. Our first BCM is set up with our personal numbers and the main helpline. We can only view either our personal VM or the helpline VM at 1 time. IF the fax/vm is set up on different DID's, users will only be able to view either VM or Fax through unified messaging, and they will have to switch between the two, as the fax goes to a different mailbox and VM goes to it's own with the two DID setup, or can both DID's be pointed to one mailbox (hopefully my terminology is correct here....)
Man i have sooo much to learn about this system.....

thanks in advance
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back