Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unidentfied Network no Access on a Cross over cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2010
US
I have a notebook that works fine when connecting to the Domain or my home network. When I try to use a crossover cable to configure a device I get Unidentified network No access. How do you turn this network identification off?

Scott Tomlin

Also, if it is a newer laptop, it may have an aware ethernet port, I know my Lenovo does, and the Thinkpad t-42 I had before it also had one. The port will detect if it needs a crossover, and do it for you. A very handy feature.

I agree that you shouldn't be using a cross over cable.. Just use a normal cat5 or cat6 into your router/switch and you should be good to go

You don't have to hook up to a router or a switch to setup a network device, just have to set a static ip address and log into the configuration web page if it has one. Say it's a RSA or IMM on a server, just run a network cable to the port, and set a static IP on the laptop, that is close to the ip of the device, and then type the ip address of the device into the address bar of the browser, just like a router. I do it all the time.

Thanks for your suggestions. It turned out to be tagging turned on. Once tagging was turned off it wnt to working.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back