Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unhide local profile folders in winxp

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubilly

MIS
Sep 10, 2002
US
I share a computer with a number of users and everyone got their own user name and passwd for their own profile. The pc is not in a domain. It has fast user switching and welcome screen. All users are displayed when windows startup.
I need to find out if there is a way to unhide the username folder in document and settings once I check in the box to keep the files private. There is no point for me to do it if there is a way in unhiding and accessing the folders and files within the user name.

If anybody know, please advise if it could be unhide and how it can be done.

Thanks.

if someone has admin rights over the computer then yes they wouldbe able to access the files, but again they would have to know how to do it.

But if they did not have access right then they would be able to see the folders but should not be able to access to the files within them.

No, even with Admin rights, once the folders are kept private, administrator cannot go into.
I have already tested it out.
Any other suggestions are welcome.

Only user user owner has access and control of a Documents and Settings\username folder made private.

In XP Pro an Administrator could remove all private folder status by disabling Simple File Sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back