Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unhandled Exception

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayy66

Programmer
Aug 21, 2006
US
I have an .net application that will not run on a target machine. I keep getting an error saying "Application has generated an exception that could not be handled"

The confusing part is that there is an earlier version of the application that was written by a different programmer that works on the target machine. The DLLs are the same on both versions. I made sure that the .net framework 1.1 was installed. MSDN recommended I install .net framework 2.0. That still did not solve the problem.

I added error logging throughout the code including at the initial load but the application never gets loaded.

Anybody have any suggestions on how i can fix this issue?

Thanks

I have found this is caused by 2 things:
1) Missing assembly (or wrong version)
2) Network app but the CAS was not set

Becks25Not,
Thanks for the reply.

In regards to your #1, The assembly is present and the version is set by default.
<Assembly: AssemblyVersion("1.0.*")>

In #2, I dont know what you mean by CAS...can you explain?

Check to see if any assemblies you reference were registered in the GAC. I ran into the same problem when an app referenced an assembly that had been put in the GAC. When the new one was deployed the referenced assembly was the culprit. We removed the previous one from the GAC and everyone was happy.

How would I check if a assembly is registered in the GAC?

Its C:\WINDOWS\assembly on my machine -- then just look for the name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back