Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unflatten an image..

Status
Not open for further replies.

basepointdesignz

Programmer
Jul 23, 2002
GB
Hi,

I know it might be an impossibility and has been many times but a friend of mine needs to unflatten an image which was flattened, saved and close, and now opened up months later..

Is there any way possible to unflatten it all? Maybe if he has a backup file of some sort which was of an earlier save, was what i was thinking but is there anything else he can do?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Paul
basepointdesignzltd..
P4 3.0Ghz / 2GB RAM
XP Pro SP2
Sapphire X1950 512MB Dual-DVi Graphics Card..

Sorry, AFAIK once flattened always flattened.

I did it once to an image with a gazillion layers and have never since forgotten to save a backup before pressing the flatten button.

Why flatten the image in the PSD?

If you want to work on a flattened version of the image, select your top layer and press 'ctrl + alt + shift + e' to get a flattened version of your image on top of the other layers on which you can make the specific changes.

That can have an adverse affect on the effects if you have applied them to these layers and with the blending modes. you should just save a PSD file, then flatten it and then save as tiff.

Ideally there should be an option to save a flattened tiff when you save the PSD. But there's no reason why you can't use a PSD unflattened rather than a tiff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back