Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unexplained re-boots on Proliant 800 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bytor

MIS
Sep 14, 1999
US
This has happend twice in the past month with no indication in the event viewer, Dr. Watson, or Insight Manager as to the cause. I know this is a good indication of a bad power supply, but does anyone have a suggestion on what I could check before shelling out the cash for a power supply?<br>
<br>
Lawson Puffer<br>
LAN Administrator<br>
X-ray Optical Systems, Inc.<br>

I would assume you already have it on a UPS. If not, that would be the first thing since there could be a power fluctuation coming to the box. Also, I believe Compaq's warranty is 3 years which is about how long ago that model was introduced.

We have had this problem on sporadic Proliant 800's. If you have a UPS that puts out a stepped-<br>
sine wave when on the batteries, this could be your problem. If it's an APC Back-UPS brand, replace<br>
it with a current model Smart-UPS version. They have real sine wave out. If there is just a momentary<br>
line glitch with the Back-UPS, enough to cause it to switch over, it can cause an unexplained reboot. <br>
Not all combinations of 800's and APC's exhibit the problem.

ASR, if it is enabled, can cause this under certain conditions - learned the hard way myself!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back