Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unexpected shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatman88

MIS
Nov 17, 2010
I have an unlicensed (180 day) trial of 2012 installed on a new HP server. It was running normally for a few days then it shutdown yesterday for no apparent reason.

Event log showed:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 6/5/2013 12:42:06 PM
Event ID: 109
Task Category: (103)
Level: Information
Keywords: (4)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: xxxxx.xxxxx.com
Description:
The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns=" <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>109</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>103</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000004</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-06-05T19:42:06.506660500Z" />
<EventRecordID>1154</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="84" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>B2FS1.b2gold.com</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="ShutdownActionType">6</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownEventCode">16</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownReason">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

There are no events in the logs regarding updates or any errors or warnings that would have triggered this. I've read some posts that suggest non-activated copies of Windows will do this. Can anybody confirm this?

Try disabling auto-restart of the server following a blue-screen and then the next time it occurs check the event logs again. Could be a driver issue

ITSP:

Thanks for your reply but this is not a BSOD issue. It simply turns itself off with no error codes or indications as to why. No updates were applied so I know that's not it. It just seems to have decided to abitrarily shut itself down as the event log entry indicates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back