Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unexpected server rebooted, puzzled!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

MIS
Nov 2, 1999
US
The NT server unexpectedly reboot, with no known reason.<br>
On the even viewer on thing refering to the reboot is this<br>
<br>
“The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf1f1cf9a). Microsoft Windows NT [v15.1381]. A full dump was not saved.”<br>
<br>
<br>
I am puzzled?<br>
<br>
Chan<br>

You have your server set to aut reboot after the crash dump. Don't worry about that, you need to find out why it blue-screened in the first place. Start by searching microsoft.com for bsod 1a. Hope that helps.

Our server rebooted for no reason too. No blue screen it just went black and started counting the memeory.<br>
Was told probable cause was Power supply or voltage regulator on Motherboard.<br>
I replaced the motherboard with a ATX instead of an AT style and a new ATX case and the problem went a way. <br>

Just FYI here, NT, being the strange critter it is, will generally give you a blue screen of death when the problem occured within the realm of the OS (a driver problem, or correction in memory etc). If you are seeing reboots, freeze ups, shutdowns etc, without NT saying anything it's almost, and I mean 99.9% time, based on a hardware problem for which NT has no control (i.e power supply, physical structure failure, thermal fault etc.) I've actually never seen a problem where a blue screen was not displayed and it was a problem specifically with the OS.

That's true, but the event log did show a 0a error, so it probably wasn't just a loss of power.

Oa error..hmm.. Do you have the whole entry?

Also, what service pack is this server at. Microsoft lists 0a errors as possible OOB (Out of Band) issue with TCP/IP. Make sure your server is at Service Pack 3 or better (I'd sugguest SP6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back